You may be going through a hard time or a rough patch in your life and you’re wondering how you’re going to be able to keep your chin up. You might be tired or scared that you’re losing patience and can no longer keep up a smiling face towards your problems. Things might not always happen the way we want them to but learning to shift the circumstances of life to our favour and find silver linings is an art that can be developed and greatly improve our ability to stay positive through the difficult times.
- Meditate: through meditation you can get rid of all your thoughts and let your soul, mind and spirit become blank slates. At first, it’s hard to quiet your thoughts and let go of them but with practice, meditation can help you let go of negativity, rejuvenate yourself and relax.
- Hobbies: find something that makes you feel relaxed and happy and set aside some time to let yourself go through that activity. It doesn’t matters what it is, it can be reading, writing, crafts, watching your favourite TV show just as long as it allows you to take your mind off reality for a short while.
- Volunteer: a good way to stay positive and feel like, in the midst of all your problems, you’re still finding a way to make good things happens is to volunteer for a cause of your choice.
- Rant: yes, ranting doesn’t sounds very positive does it? But sometimes, ranting is exactly what we need to let off some steam. Whether you have someone to talk to or you just need to talk to yourself, don’t be afraid to speak up and let your feelings run their course. Sulking will never help you stay positive but through ranting, you can get all the negative feelings and thoughts off you.
- Look for the silver linings: Life isn’t perfect and being aggressively positive isn’t realistic either but, a good way to stay positive through hard times is by looking for the good in the bad. This is no easy task but with practice, you will be able to find the silver linings in life and make the best out of it.
What’s most important is that you always remember that feeling bummed or sad is okay. You won’t be able to stay happy at all times regardless of what happens. Trying to keep a positive outlook in life is not about literally keeping a preppy attitude but about knowing deep inside that negative situations are temporary and that with time, things work out.